Truth and the Church in a Secular Age
Available for pre-order. Publication date: 31/07/2019.
Enter your email address below and we will email you when the item comes into stock.
Together, the collection of essays in this volume seek to explore the place of Christianity, the Church and their claims to uphold the truth in an age of `post-truth'.
Beginning with a consideration of truth within the biblical tradition, the chapters come from historical, theological and philosophical starting points in their concerns, setting out the groundwork for discussions of Christian truth and science, prayer, ethics and the liturgy.
Foreword by the Most Revd Mark Strange
David Jasper and Jenny Wright
1. Truth and the Biblical Tradition
2. The Origins of Truth in Philosophy, Theology, and Theory
3. Seeing As: Wittgenstein’s Approach to Truth
4. Truth and Christian Theology
5. Tangling the Fibres of the Threefold Cord: Truth and the Anglican Tradition
6. Liturgy as a Repository of Truth
John Reuben Davies
7. Truth and Experience: Prayer and Ascetic Practice
8. Rudolf Otto: Truth and the Holy
9. Truth, Non-Truth and Reality in the Pastoral Context
Robert A. Gillies
10. Sciences and Truth: A Scientist’s View
11. Sciences and Truths: A Theologian’s View
12. Today’s Church and the Politics of Post-Truth
Index of Biblical References
Index of Names and Subjects