Liturgy with a Difference
Beyond Inclusion in the Christian Assembly
Available for pre-order. Publication date: 30/05/2019.
Enter your email address below and we will email you when the item comes into stock.
Christian churches in recent decades have taken some steps in their practices of liturgy and worship toward acknowledging the graced dignity of human variety. But who is still excluded? What pernicious norms still govern below the surface, and how might they be revealed? How do texts, gestures, and space abet and enforce such norms? How might Christian assemblies gather multiple expressions of human difference to propose through Christian liturgy patterns of graced interaction in the world around them?
Liturgy with a Difference gathers a broad range of international theologians and scholars to interrogate current practices of liturgy and worship in order to unmask ways in which dehumanizing majoritarianisms and presumed norms of gender, culture, ethnicity, and body, among others, remain at work in congregations.
Together, the chapters in this collection call for a liturgical practice that recognizes and rehearses the vivid richness of God’s image found in the human community andglimpsed, if only for a moment, in liturgical celebration. They point to a way beyond mere inclusion toward a generous embrace of the many differences that make up the Christian community.
With contributions from Rachel Mann, Teresa Berger, Susannah Cornwall, Miguel A. DeLa Torre, Edward Foley, W. Scott Haldeman, Michael Jagessar, Bruce T. Morrill, Kristine Suna-Koro and Frank Senn.
Foreword by Anne Loades.
List of Contributors
Foreword by Ann Loades
Introduction by Bryan Cones and Stephen Burns
Part 1: The Case for Difference
1. ‘How Beautiful the Feet’: Discerning the Assembly’s Path on Holy Thursday - Bryan Cones
2. Acts of Uniformity - Stephen Burns
Part 2: Leadership and Ministry Through Liturgy
3. ‘The Performance of Queerness’: Trans Priesthood as Gesture towards a Queered Liturgical Assembly - Rachel Mann
4. All Things to All? Requeering Stuart’s Eucharistic Erasure of Priestly Sex - Susannah Cornwall
5. The Queer Body in the Wedding - W. Scott Haldeman
6. I Had to Do It for My Son: The Story of a Same-Sex Wedding - Frank C. Senn
Part 3: Liturgy in Migration: People, Culture and Language
7. Liturgy, Language and Diaspora: Some Reflections on Inclusion as Integration by a Migratory Liturgical Magpie - Kristine Suna-Koro
8. Liturgy’s Missional Character: Trusting Truth in Real Bodies of Culture and Tradition - Bruce T. Morrill, SJ
9. ‘beyond words, gestures and spaces: evoking and imagining liturgical contradictions’ - Michael Jagessar
Part 4: Liturgy and Mission in the World
10. ‘All Are Welcome?’: A Sermon - Teresa Berger
11. Preaching in an Age of Disaffiliation: Respecting Dissent While Keeping the Faith - Edward Foley, OFM Cap.
12. Worship Through Sanctuary - Miguel A. De La Torre
Appendix 1 Same-Gender Union - W. Scott Haldeman
Appendix 2 The Marriage Service of Benjamin Bauer and Nicholas Senn: The Order of Service for Witnessing a Lifelong Covenant
Index of Names and Subjects
"This collection of stimulating and disturbing chapters should provoke vitally important exchanges and conversations between every person responsible for taking a lead in liturgy and those who think they know what `ecclesiology' is all about." -- Ann Loades