It is increasingly being acknowledged that current generation of church leaders are inundated with well-intentioned but nonetheless economically-defined leadership measures and strategies which threaten to corrupt the basic thrust of ministry and pervert the common life known as church.
Reflecting theologically on the nature of leadership at the same time as considering the reality of its practicalities, this Study Guide seeks to call it back to theological essentials, locate it in the unique context of the Church, and then re-address modern pressures and needs from within a decidedly Christian framework.
Resisting the urge to instruct with a more polemical voice, the book will encourage ordinands and trainee church leaders to reassess modern pressures and priorities and to re-orient creatively around the callings, giftings, and approaches that are suitable to Christ and particular to the Church.
Part 1 Ends
1. Tensions: What is So Good About Leadership?
2. Confession: What Makes Leadership Christian?
3. Mandates: What Do Christian Leaders Do?
Part 2 Means
4. Imitation: Does the Bible Show Us How to Lead?
5. Participation: What Posture Does Christian Leadership Take?
6. Rhythms: What Habits Are at the Heart of Christian Leadership?
Part 3 Fitness
7. Growth: What Difference Does it Make to be a Church Leader?
8. Charisma: What Does it Take to Run a Church?
9. Expectations: If Leadership is a Spiritual Gift, Which is it?
Part 4 Meetings
10. Size: What is a Good Way to Look After Numbers?
11. Politics: Does Jesus Inform Group Dynamics?
12. Deliberations: How Do Church Leaders Make Decisions Together?
Index of Names and Subjects
‘In a world awash with books on leadership this is a standout contribution. Beautifully crafted, biblically driven and thoughtfully provocative, it will aid careful reflection on how to lead…a must read for anyone wrestling with Church leadership.' -- ’James Lawrence, Leadership Principal, CPAS and author of 'Growing Leaders'
SCM Studyguide: Christian Spirituality
SCM Studyguide: Catholic Liturgy
SCM Studyguide: Science and Religion
SCM Studyguide: Church History
SCM Studyguide: Practical Skills for Ministry
SCM Studyguide: Early Christian Doctrine and the Creeds
SCM Studyguide: Philosophy and the Christian Faith
SCM Studyguide: Anglicanism
SCM Studyguide: Christian Ethics
SCM Studyguide: Biblical Hermeneutics, 2nd edition
SCM Studyguide: Liturgy, 2nd edition
SCM Studyguide: Preaching
Other products in this Category
DNA of Pioneer Ministry
By What Authority?
The Promise of Anglicanism
Hospitality, Service, Proclamation
On Human Worth
The Vocation of Anglican Theology
Developing Faithful Ministers